- The SPM lecture is taught as flipped classroom course. This means that the learning content of the lecture is made available via videos. The content is then discussed and deepened at one face-to-face class per week.
- The face-to-face class always takes on Tuesdays from 16:30 to 18:00 in lecture hall AH 5.
- More information will be given in the first face-to-face class session that takes place on April 5th at 16:30 in lecture hall AH 5.
The following topics are covered:
- Project management foundations and basic processes
- Software development process models
- Agile development models
- Project planning techniques
- Traditional and agile cost estimation techniques
- Project scheduling techniques
- Project controlling and monitoring
- Risk management
- Stakeholder management and decision analysis techniques
The module introduces central aspects and techniques of modern project management. Hence, students will be familiar with goals, major activities, and techniques of software project management. Furthermore, they will have a detailed understanding on how project management and software development activities relate and collaborate. Altogether, this knowledge will be put together in terms of modern software development processes.
Students will be able to plan, estimate, control and assess project risks. All these skills are trained in the exercises, where small teams of students have to create important project management artifacts. They have to present and discuss their solutions and ideas in front of the class.
Benefits for future professional life / soft skills
Knowledge on project team leadership is provided. Together with competencies, e.g., in stakeholder management and decision analysis techniques, students gain personal and professional competencies that enable to take over leadership responsibilities in industry.
- H. Kerzner (2002): Project Management - A Systems Approach to Planning, Scheduling and Controlling, Wiley.
- IEEE Std 1490 (2003): Adoption of PMI Standard A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge
- Wysocki, R. (2007): Effective Project Management, Wiley Publishing Inc.